20 days down, 10 to go, and The King Must Fall has passed AU$43,000, added three new authors to the lineup, put interior art on the title page of every story, and is providing backers with an ever-fattening bag of digital swag to go with it. These are pretty exciting times!
Get caught up on all the hype in 1 min flat
If you’ve reached the point in this article and you’re wondering just what The King Must Fall is all about, check out our trailer below to get caught up.
What do backers of The King Must Fall get so far?
There’s plenty of good stuff already there for people who want to pledge to The King Must Fall today. The anthology now includes the following authors:
- Bradley P. Beaulieu (The Song of the Shattered Sands, The Lays of Anuskaya)
- Kameron Hurley (The God’s War Trilogy, Worldbreaker Saga)
- Michael R Fletcher (Manifest Delusions, Black Stone Heart)
- Anna Smith Spark (Empires of Dust)
- Shawn Speakman (The Annwn Cycles, Unfettered)
- Daniel Polansky (Low Town, Those Above)
- Devin Madson (The Reborn Empire)
- Adrian Tchaikovsky (Shadows of the Apt, Children of Time)
- Anthony Ryan (Raven’s Shadow, The Draconis Memoria)
- Lee Murray (Into the Mist, Hounds of the Underworld)
- Jeremy Szal (The Common)
- Justin Call (The Silent Gods)
- Trudi Canavan (The Black Magician, Age of the Five)
- Peter Orullian (The Vault of Heaven, The Astonishing)
- Anna Stephens (Godblind, The Songs of the Drowned)
- Alex Marshall (The Crimson Empire)
- Luke Scull (The Grim Company)
As well as having black and white art by Carlos Diaz on the title page of every story to go with that gorgeous cover from Felix Ortiz and Shawn T. King.
In addition, backers of this project already get:
- All of the Grimdark Magazine e-issues published in 2018, 2019, and 2020, and
- ebooks of Michael R. Fletcher’s Black Stone Heart and Smoke and Stone
Now, that’s certainly not the worst value, ever! But the bigger this project gets, the more we can jam into your anthology and rewards.
What’s next for The King Must Fall?
We’ve got ten days to make sure your pledge provides you with something that is as big as possible, is in as many formats as possible, and is cool AF. The following backer targets are waiting for us to claim them and add them to the project:
AU$46,400 (US$34,900 approx.): Audie award-winning narrator Greg Patmore will create an audio version of The King Must Fall to be sent to all backers. Greg also delivered the audio version of our last Kickstarter anthology, Evil is a Matter of Perspective.
AU$48,000 (US$36,100 approx.): Deborah A. Wolf will write an additional short story based in the Godsword world.
AU$52,000 (US$39,200 approx.): Author pay increase by another AU$0.02 per word.
AU$55,000 (US$41,400 approx.): Matthew Ward will write an additional short story based in the Legacy world.
AU$59,000 (US$44,400 approx.): Author pay increase by another AU$0.02 per word.
AU$62,000 (US$46,700 approx.): Open window for fiction submissions at full pay rate for one short story purchase from the slush pile.700 BACKERS: The entire SNAFU military SF horror catalogue from Cohesion Press in mobi and ePub. You’ll know some of these stories from Netflix’s LOVE, DEATH + ROBOTS.
There is a lot to get excited about there. Click the image below, back the project, give it a shout out to your friends to keep building it–this is going to be something awesome.